History

The Launceston Town Mission was established in 1854 by way of a public meeting called by a few who believed that, “a large number of inhabitants of this town are living in neglect of religious ordinances and considered that this fact was a loud call for additional exertions on the part of the Christian public; “that an attempt should therefore be made to establish an institution similar to the London City Mission”.

The Mission has gone on from that day to become a well-known and respected organisation of the city and has extended its work to include many areas where its people live out the Mission’s motto of, “caring and sharing in Jesus’ name”.

The Mission’s work now extends along the North West Coast with supported accommodation, sobering up and time out facilities along with outreach work providing food and friendship to those who need it most.

The City Mission now employs over 400 people, paid and voluntary, to assist in carrying out the Mission.

Latest News

  • Bacon & Eggs for Morton's Place

    Bacon & Eggs for Morton's Place

    26 June 2017

    A hot breakfast option has been introduced at Morton’s Place once a month for a small fee of $2.

    Read More
  • Food to support local community

    Food to support local community

    22 June 2017

    St Patrick's College responded to our concern back in March about a shortage of food supplies and have continued to collect to sup...

    Read More
  • Hub to Support Children

    Hub to Support Children

    20 June 2017

    City Mission's children's trauma, grief and loss support program Inside Out 4 Kids now has a Hub on Frederick Street in Launceston...

    Read More
Donate Today Call