At a meeting convened at the Temperance Hall in York Street, Launceston on the 5th January 1854 the Reverend John West moved a motion “that a town mission be forthwith commenced”.
In March 1854, the first Launceston Town Missionary, William Whitaker, was appointed.
(pictured: Mr William Whitaker - serving Launceston Town Missionary from 1854 - 1860)
One hundred and sixty years later, Launceston City Mission Incorporated continues to uphold its original charter, “to extend the knowledge of divine truth”. Yes, the methods may have changed but the message has not.
As we celebrate 2014 as our 160th year we praise God for all the blessings He has bestowed upon the work of this mission since its inception all those years ago. Today The Mission continues to carry out its primary motive of “Caring and Sharing in Jesus’ name” through providing a vast array of services to people needing help. We believe that God has preserved this Mission for His purposes; that is to be a bridge of connection between the poor, the lonely, the abused and the addicted between themselves and their creator.
Offering parcels of food, some financial assistance, a way to recovery from an addiction or a place to call home is only part of our mission. We do all this to somehow demonstrate God’s love in practical ways and show that even though our physical, emotional and social needs can be met by others, there is only one person who can quench our spiritual hunger; that is the Lord, Jesus Christ.