Coronavirus - CEO Message
Posted on March 23, 2020
City Mission response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Dear Friends of City Mission,
City Mission is closely monitoring the global Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and we are following the advice from the relevant Federal and State Governments authorities, including the Australian Government’s Department of Health and the World Health Organisation.
We understand these are unprecedented times offering many challenges. City Mission operates a number of essential or critical services to the community and our major concern is always the health, wellbeing and safety of our community, clients, volunteers and staff members.
While there have been no confirmed case to date of COVID-19 in the City Mission community, it is critical that we remain vigilant and as safe as possible. Our Coronavirus Contact Team will continue to meet daily and quickly respond as events progress.
To date have we have announced a range of measures, including:
- Self-quarantine to those returning from overseas or that display symptoms as per Department of Health guidelines
- All non-essential staff work related travel will be suspended until further notice
- Restrictions on travel between our services on the NW Coast and the North are in place
- Workers to voluntarily report all future planned trips out of the country
- All events and gathering of people have been suspended until further notice
- The Choir of High Hopes practices and performances have been suspended until further notice.
- We suspended the Alpha program until further notice
- Morton’s dining rooms closed as of 10.30 today (23/03/2020)to the general public. Takeaway meal options are being considered along with how clients access them. We are collecting client contact details so we can keep them informed regarding takeaways and also so we can provide regular follow up care calls
- We are requesting customer and staff to practice social distancing at our Mission Shops
- Our Mission Shops are quarantining goods for at least 48 hours before putting them onto the shop floor
- We are recommending all Mission Shop customers to wash or disinfect all purchased goods when they get home
- Face to Face Inside Out 4 Kids program (IO4K) has been suspended. A new IO4K Facebook page has been created which provides easily accessible information for teachers, parents, carers, and others – everything from ideas for activities to do with children through to tips on how to have conversations with young children
- The Mish face to face programs and mentoring have been suspended. Mentors are still offering support to their clients via phone, chat, and we have plans to expand to our social media pages
We will be maintaining all other essential services, unless otherwise directed by the Federal or State Government or via the Department of Health.
Due to high demands caused by the pandemic, we are reaching the end of our non-perishable food resources and toiletry items. We are asking donors to replace non-perishable or in person donations with online or over the phone financial donations. This way, we can provide food vouchers to families and vulnerable people in need, without putting anyone at risk.
In these times of uncertainty, we call on all members of our community to encourage and look out for one another not forgetting the most vulnerable, the elderly and those at risk. We also call on all of those of faith to continue praying for our world. We will not be suspending prayer.
As we continue to monitor the situation, please follow our Facebook page for updates.
Chief Executive Officer